What is a nutritional deficiency?
Our bodies need many and varied vitamins and minerals that are essential for development, normal every day functionality of the body and disease prevention. The vitamins and minerals we require are not produced naturally within our body, so we cannot rely on it to take care of itself. We must ensure we are getting all of these vital nutrients from our diet.
Nutritional deficiencies arise when our body fails to effectively digest or absorb the required amount of the needed nutrient in our diet or we simply fail to include them sufficiently within our dietary intake. These deficiencies can contribute to a range of health concerns that may easily be prevented by simply being more aware and consciously including them within out meals. Being more aware of the foods we are eating is essential to a healthy eating regime.
Complaints of nutritional deficiency may include:
- Digestive problems
- Skin disorders
- Anxiety, depression
- Low immunity
- Underdevelopment (particularly in children)
- Bone problems (such as osteoporosis)
As we develop and age the amounts and types of nutrients we require at any one time will change. You may think that you are including enough foods that contain the specific nutrients you require for your age, however, sometimes your body is simply unable to absorb certain nutrients despite avid consumption. Nutritionist Danielle can educate and help you to identify these barriers to consumption or absorption and work with you to rectifying deficiencies and absorption issues.
Some of the most common deficiencies include, but are not limited to:
- Iron deficiency – anaemia, weakness, fatigue, low immunity, anxiety
- B12 deficiency – anaemia, autoimmune complaints, nerve complaints, low immunity, fatigue, anxiety, cardiovascular complaints.
- Calcium deficiency – poor growth and development, poor muscle function, anxiety, osteoporosis.
- Zinc deficiency – poor immunity, poor digestion, poor eye health
- Magnesium deficiency – bone and muscle complaints, anxiety, fatigue, sleeplessness, restless legs, cramping, blood sugar problems
Call Nutritionist Danielle now if you suspect your may have a nutritional deficiency.