We all lead busy lives, whether we are a full time stay-at-home mother or father, a family juggling work, kids and their additional sporting, schooling and friendship commitments or business people. It is easy to push our nutritional needs to the wayside when our life seems to be in chaos. Unfortunately the repercussion of poor nutritional intake often means we crave sweet, salty and carbohydrate dense foods to give us an instant but short lived boost of energy to get us by.
Not with these beautifully golden muffins! They concur both your sweet and savoury cravings as well as provide sustained energy with balanced carbohydrates. They are also a quick and easy option to run to the car with.
What else have these babies got going for them?
- They contain turmeric, praised for its anti-inflammatory abilities
- They boast an enormous his of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- They are flour and dairy free
- They are low GI
Golden Sweet Potato Muffins
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 60 minutes or until cooked through
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 green onions, chopped or ½ brown onion
- 2 cups oat flour (2 cups regular oats blended down into flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced) and line muffin tray with cases
- Steam sweet potato until completely soft
- Mash sweet potato with a folk or place into blender.
- Using an electric beater, beat the mashed sweet potato, eggs, olive oil and salt together in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Stir through chopped spring onion, garlic and turmeric.
- Add oat flour and baking powder and fold it into mixture until combined.
- Using a large dessert spoon, spoon mix into muffin cases and bake in the oven for 35 minutes-1 hour or until lightly browned and cooked through. Allow to cool in the tray.
You may store muffins in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze them. Re-heat them in the oven or microwave before serving.